Noise from BBC-DW DRM on 3995

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

BoBritain
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Noise from BBC-DW DRM on 3995

Post by BoBritain »

Is it just me, or does the noise from the BBC-DW DRM transmission on 3995 kHz from the UK (16:00 GMT) spread right up to, and over, Laser Hot Hits on 4025.

Really struggling to hear Laser because of this noise here in Great Britain. Is it just my RX that's up the spout or are others finding the same thing. The signal on 3995 kHz is S9 + 60 dB here!

Bob
Ray Lalleu
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by Ray Lalleu »

Maybe this level of signal is enough to fool any receiver many kilohertz either side, except the premium receivers. Try attenuators, other antenna(s), sharp tuning devices... Well, I Think a passive tuned loop would be something very useful : around 4 MHz, there is still some useful directivity, the output is not too strong and the tuning can give somme useful decibels to the wanted station against the giant one. Use 2 to 4 turns of 60 cm diameter, tuned with a variable capacitor (discarded from an AM/FM clock radio, for ex.). Space the turns! Secondary : about 20 cm diameter single turn, connected to antenna input through some length of coax cable. But other designs are good also (many to find on the web).
Ray
Glowbug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Glowbug »

I assume europe doesn't have an 80M ham radio band?
Glowbug
"Tubes are the spice of life"
(Unless specifically stated, my posts are my opinion and not as an Admin)
RadioRamona
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by RadioRamona »

Yes we have but nothing above 3800 khz.
Glowbug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Glowbug »

Ouch, that sucks :(
Glowbug
"Tubes are the spice of life"
(Unless specifically stated, my posts are my opinion and not as an Admin)
BoBritain
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by BoBritain »

Attenuators and even an completely different antenna (with much lower gain) didn't seem to fix the problem. Oddly at 17:00 GMT it fixed itself so perhaps the transmission was temporarily from some other site whose TX was not properly set up for operation on that frequency.

Thanks all for checking and I'll keep an eye (ear) open to see if it happens again.

Bob