Logs from pirates on mediumwave.
Logs van Middengolf piraten (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

Sealord
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Greek MW Pirates

Post by Sealord »

Sorry if this post is a little unorthodox, but wanted to share my radio catch of Greek AM pirates that I recently recorded this past May 3rd.

My wife & I were visiting Mykonos and I had brought along my Degen 1103 & a minidisc recorder. I recorded over an hours worth of broadcasts between 1630khz-1700khz, starting from just before 11pm and some time after 12am local time. I did not write down any notes as my intentions were to just record the stations for my own archive purposes.

I edited the file down to 1 hrs. worth of material tyring to make it as smooth of a transition from hearing one station to the next, but it is a consecutive snapshot of the activity that night.

I'd like to thank Harri Kujala for turning me on to the prospect of hearing these stations and the wonderful info his site provides - thanks man! Not to mention the post here on Alfa Lima as well :)

Last, but not least, thanks to all the stations I heard & gave me the best 'souvenir' to bring back from Greece!

Audio: http://www.archive.org/download/Shortwa ... -03-09.mp3

cheers
Sealord
North East Florida
RX-340/8 Circle Array
Pirate Archive 10/2011 -
Pirate Archive 90's - 09/2011
Caroline
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Hi

Post by Caroline »

Hi,

you are right! These greece-pirate-stations on frequencies between about 1620 and 1680kcs can be received here by me near German-Czech-Polish-border every evening/night. Always there are between 3 and 6 stations who can here be received! For instance yesterday early evening there were 3 Pirates, and often they are as strong as any of the Dutch Pirates on this band.

Best wishes from German-Czech-Polish border,
Caroline. :ahowy:
Sealord
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by Sealord »

Now, if only I could hear them from the states! :)
Last edited by Sealord on Wed Dec 02, 2009 19:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North East Florida
RX-340/8 Circle Array
Pirate Archive 10/2011 -
Caroline
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by Caroline »

Hello Sealord,
oh, yes- it may be a little bit difficult for you to listen to these stations
at home in Florida,hi. :cry:
So, I think, you should remember to spend as soon as possible your next holidays in Europe (or even Greece again). :D

Best wishes to you,
Caroline. Mkae:friend
Hajo
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by Hajo »

A good help is the internet page from Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki, Greece: http://sites.google.com/site/zliangas/p ... #SW%20logs

Unfortunately, only old material - as of 1999. But you can make your recording to send to him, and he listen to the station's ID on it are there. He is greek Dx'er. You can write in english to Zacharias.

His eMail is: greekdx@otenet.gr

greetings Hajo
from south germany
irish_dx
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Re: Greek MW Pirates

Post by irish_dx »

Sealord wrote:Sorry if this post is a little unorthodox, but wanted to share my radio catch of Greek AM pirates that I recently recorded this past May 3rd.

My wife & I were visiting Mykonos and I had brought along my Degen 1103 & a minidisc recorder. I recorded over an hours worth of broadcasts between 1630khz-1700khz, starting from just before 11pm and some time after 12am local time. I did not write down any notes as my intentions were to just record the stations for my own archive purposes.

I edited the file down to 1 hrs. worth of material tyring to make it as smooth of a transition from hearing one station to the next, but it is a consecutive snapshot of the activity that night.

I'd like to thank Harri Kujala for turning me on to the prospect of hearing these stations and the wonderful info his site provides - thanks man! Not to mention the post here on Alfa Lima as well :)

Last, but not least, thanks to all the stations I heard & gave me the best 'souvenir' to bring back from Greece!

Audio: http://www.archive.org/download/Shortwa ... -03-09.mp3

cheers
Sealord

Thanks for taking the trouble to post this. Great recordings!
nova88fm
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by nova88fm »

Hi Sealord. Brilliant recordings and thanks for sharing. 8)
Dave Scott
General Trouble maker
General Trouble maker

Post by Dave Scott »

Thanks for that information. I go to Greece at least once every year and always hear several pirates in the 1600-1700 region. I'm guessing most are from the main cities such as Athens and Thessaloniki. Always very difficult to ID though. I wonder if there are many AM or FM pirates in the islands?
Dave Scott
Sealord
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by Sealord »

Wow, sorry I haven't checked this post in awhile guys, but thanks for the replys & the kind words!

Thanks for tip & the link to Zacharias website Hajo! :)

I actually recorded more than one session; this one is from the previous evening around the same time frame, but longer in length (1hr34m):
http://www.archive.org/download/Shortwa ... en1103.mp3

cheers guys :)
Sealord
North East Florida
RX-340/8 Circle Array
Pirate Archive 10/2011 -
ukdxer
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by ukdxer »

This might be worth a look for anyone interested in Greek pirates:

http://b52radioactiveandpiratesofgreece.blogspot.com/
ukdxer
Pirate radio logs and news at: www.shortwavedx.blogspot.com
Radio links, QSLs & more at: www.freewebs.com/ukdxer
Pirate recordings from the past: http://piratememories.blogspot.com/
Glowbug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Glowbug »

B52, please re-register... sorry I was trigger happy on the "nuke" button yesterday :oops:

Cheers!
Glowbug
"Tubes are the spice of life"
(Unless specifically stated, my posts are my opinion and not as an Admin)
Dave Scott
General Trouble maker
General Trouble maker

Post by Dave Scott »

Just back from Syros Island and there seemed to be even more Greek MW pirates than ever, some playing non stop music, some QSOing, and some just talking. I heard one mention that he was from Thessaloniki (from my limited Greek!). They are usually audible from dusk right into the night but I could hear some with weak signals during the daytime too.
irish_dx
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by irish_dx »

looking forward to hearing a few recordings, hint, hint :)
fabien
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by fabien »

I like when signals are coming from Greece, too. Because their music is exotic and they often use echo effect like did the first free FM stations in France.

Hope to find here more informations about these stations, with help from B52 for example. Hope he can identify some recordings.
City = Valognes, in Normandie (close to the sea, in front of England)