Pirate station question

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

5th Element

Pirate station question

Post by 5th Element »

Can anybody give me a list of frequencies for pirate stations i could receive in the UK? (im in Liverpool)

I've been trying to find information about pirate stations but the frequencies seem to be hard to come by! i guess the nature of these stations are that the frequency's change and the time of broadcast does aswell.

If anyone can help i'd appreciate it

Thanks
silentkeyradio

listening to pirates

Post by silentkeyradio »

I suspect that you want to listen to Liverpool based pirates in which case the answer is that we don't have an answer!

But if you want to listen to pirates generally you need a decent short wave receiver and antenna. hard core listeners then check out certain areas of the short wave band - for example 6200 - 6400 kHZ during the day 3900 - 3950 kHZ at night. Then its just down to luck and experience. There is a lot of activity out there! and you will hear stations from all over western europe - there are a lot of stations from Holland, less from the UK

However I would be very surprised if there is no pirate activity on fm in Liverpool - just a question of tuning around and hope you get lucky.

Post by Guest »

I was looking for pirate SW stations anywhere in the UK, well, pirate stations anywhere in the world that can be heard in the UK.

Im using a Realistic DX-394 receiver, not the best in the world but it's not bad. I need to hook up a bigger antenna i guess as im only using the telescopic one that came with it right now!

I'll check around those freq's/times you mentioned and hope i find something.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Post by Guest »

That was me replying (obviously lol) registered now though :)
silentkeyradio

finding pirates

Post by silentkeyradio »

ok mate!
firstly your DX 394 or whatever will be well up to the job!

secondly forget the telescopic antenna - remember that a lot of stations are using very low power. For a quick lash up use as long a piece of wire as you can stretched down the garden or whatever - the higher the better. Connect one end to the high impedence connector at the back of your receiver and away you go! For better results you can use a half wave dipole cut to be resonant on the part of the band you are interested in. For example a lot of pirates use 6.200 - 6.300 mHz. That equates to about 48 metres. A half wave dipole is therefore 2 lengths of wire each 12 metres long. One length of wire goes to the centre feed of a length of coax cable and the other connects to the braid. You have a plug at the other end of the coax and plug it into the low impedence socket of your receiver.

There are many variations and different types of antennas - but for simplicity you can't beat the above two.

Now to find a pirate - a good start would be Lazer, as they are on 24-7 from the Irish Republic and use quite a few frequencies. Try 6.220 or 6.285 and there you go.

The rest is practice and experience!

good luck !
alfred
Site Admin
Site Admin

surf

Post by alfred »

To find frequency's see the logs at this forum and als keep an eyeball at www.frn.net
also you find the in the area of 11.400, 15.070 , 15.800, 21.860. also join up with the sw piraes group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWpirates/ that one will become you biggest resouce for international pirate radio.. Greetings Alfred
www.alfalima.net
alfred.zoer [ad] straatklus.nl

Post by Guest »

silentkeyradio - Thanks for all the advice! I live in a top floor flat in the city centre so erecting an antenna isn't going to be too easy for me. I can get access to the loft, but i dont think the landlord would be happy about me drilling holes through the ceiling for coax lol

I've thought about running a long wire from the radio and just have it hanging out my window and down the side of the building, but im not sure how great it would work, i guess i can only try. I've got a home made dipole sat here aswell actually, i think i originally made it for a cb lol but the problem is hanging it somewhere.

I really want to try something though as i seem to be getting alot of interference with the radio sat here just using the telescopic whip. I definately can't use the radio with the computer on either, the interference gets terrible with it on. Im also getting a deep buzzing here and there throughout the bands, im not sure if its mains bourne or not.
So anyways, it'd be best for me to have an antenna of somesort outdoors i guess as no doubt everyone elses tv's/vcrs/lights/computers etc in the building give off a fair amount of interference.

Another thing, is it true conditions on shortwave aren't great now right? I've not been listening for the last 2/3 months as my radio was at my parents (just moved into the flat recently) and i just finally picked it up. If thats true then it might explain some of the noise im getting.

I'll checkout Lazer like you said aswell. Thanks again for the advice!

alfred- Thanks alot for those links, looks like they'll be of great use.
silentkeyradio

difficult conditions

Post by silentkeyradio »

we have all had them (dificut conditions that is)
but ifyou are on the top floor of a tower block then the pirates will come looking for you mate!

there are solutions to poor locations though. A very thin wire antenna is ok for listening and invisible to anyone not looking. You might have to sweep up headless pigeons from time to time - blame them on your neighbours cat

if an outdoor antenna is a no go there are various other things you can try. if you are interested respond on this site. must go being molested by the mrs :D

Post by Guest »

How do you mean they'll coming looking for me? guess you mean to transmit from here? lol

Im definately interested in any other idea's you have regarding antennas. Looking forward to your ideas :)
JoJo
Site Admin
Site Admin

re antenna

Post by JoJo »

I guess he mean If you are on top of the builing, you are high enough to receive. But for receiving ony did you try a magnetic loop? use Google.

Or use this link to calculate your antenna http://www.orionradio.nl/ant-calc.html

The propagation tis time of the year; well winter time is better.
Last edited by JoJo on Sat Aug 20, 2005 15:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfred
Site Admin
Site Admin

calculate the antenna

Post by alfred »

Below on this page youcan calculate your antenna.

http://www.alfalima.net/metric-ohm-lb-p ... ulator.htm
www.alfalima.net
alfred.zoer [ad] straatklus.nl