Alice's Restaurant - Rock Radio Returns!

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

Andy Richards

Alice's Restaurant - Rock Radio Returns!

Post by Andy Richards »

Alice's Restaurant were a great Rock station that operated in London in the early 80's.They made a welcome return via the Latvian Relay TX on Sunday on 9290Khz from 1100 - 1700 UTC.
For listeners outside the London area this gave you a good idea of what could be heard from one of many AM & FM Pirates that were available to us Londoners at the time.Good luck to Bear & his crew,hopefully this was the first of many broadcasts.

Andy Richards

AndyRichardz@msn.com
silentkeyradio

alices restaurant

Post by silentkeyradio »

I remember them in the 80's - they were brilliant.

but then there were several excellent fm pirates in London then and you didn't get raided every five minutes!

Do you remember Alpha - also rock and Invicta for example

That's how pirate radio should be done! :D
Andy Richards

Post by Andy Richards »

Hi Silentkey!

Yes I do remember Alpha & of course Invicta too.There were so many stations on both AM & FM that they are too many to mention!!And the raids were less frequent as you say.You sound like you are an ex-Londoner to me,maybe you could e-mail me direct at;AndyRichardz@msn.com

Andy Richards.
silentkeyradio

the good old London AM FM days

Post by silentkeyradio »

yes I have emailed you directly Andy - I assume you have it as it hasn't bounced back.

Yes fun times - and one or two of us are still around. There's a guy on Laser now who has morphed into someone called Steve Richards - he was on ELR - though he was called steve anthony then!

Is the "Bear" involved with Alices Restaurant the same Bear who ran a mw pirate called Telstar one from N London?

Not so fun times - being chased through the streets of Buckhurst Hill by Mr Williams of the Home Office and then literally bumping into him at a Radio Jackie case the very next day! He was ok about it lol!

Some of the old Home Office / DTI guys are known to read these web sites including Mr Eric Gotts! I have seen one or two postings allegedly from him in the past - and if he ever reads this - we bear no grudges!
silentkeyradio

the good old London AM FM days

Post by silentkeyradio »

yes I have emailed you directly Andy - I assume you have it as it hasn't bounced back.

Yes fun times - and one or two of us are still around. There's a guy on Laser now who has morphed into someone called Steve Richards - he was on ELR - though he was called steve anthony then!

Is the "Bear" involved with Alices Restaurant the same Bear who ran a mw pirate called Telstar one from N London?

Not so fun times - being chased through the streets of Buckhurst Hill by Mr Williams of the Home Office and then literally bumping into him at a Radio Jackie case the very next day! He was ok about it lol!

Some of the old Home Office / DTI guys are known to read these web sites including Mr Eric Gotts! I have seen one or two postings allegedly from him in the past - and if he ever reads this - we bear no grudges!
Andy Richards

Post by Andy Richards »

Hi Silentkey,

Bear on Alice's Restaurant is indeed the same Bear who ran Telstar 1 on Medium wave.

For readers of this thread outside London or the UK I should explain that Mr.Gotts,Mr.Williams & Mr.Frisby were the three most enthusiastic and successful employees of the government department that tracked down & raided Pirates in the 70's & 80's,in the South East of England.
Eric Gotts must be in his Seventies now.I can't believe he reads these posts,but as you say,I'd be happy to talk over old times with him over a few beers!
This trio raided me once in a house.I won't give too much away so as they can't identify me,but Gotts played the bastard,Williams the nice guy(Though he wasn't) and Frisby was the technical guy who stayed outside.
I have to say this trio raided us several times when we were Radio Floss,but never with success.On one occasion we saw the detector van accompanied by two Police cars arrive at our field and we had enough time to hide all the gear,escape & then return to collect the gear later!
On another occasion they actually did catch two members of staff,only to have all charges thrown out in court!
Perhaps they weren't as good as their reputation after all!!

Andy Richards.
silentkeyradio

ho ho

Post by silentkeyradio »

fun times indeed.

Eric Gotts, Wlliams and Frisbee - may their names live on in pirate history.

I remember one story where Gotts raided a guy twice in 10 days - on the first occasion it was "you're nicked mate". On the second occasion it ws "You ar a f...ing idiot".

My close encounter with Mr Williams was during a raid on ELR. Fortunately I was very fit then and could run very fast!
silentkeyradio

ho ho

Post by silentkeyradio »

fun times indeed.

Eric Gotts, Wlliams and Frisbee - may their names live on in pirate history.

I remember one story where Gotts raided a guy twice in 10 days - on the first occasion it was "you're nicked mate". On the second occasion it ws "You ar a f...ing idiot".

My close encounter with Mr Williams was during a raid on ELR. Fortunately I was very fit then and could run very fast!
Bear

Alice's Restaurant Rock Radio

Post by Bear »

Hi Andy & Silent Key,

Glad you enjoyed Alice's, sorry if we were all a bit 'rusty' - new mixer to get used to, but hey, it's the music that matters, not us right? :D We're still using the same cheapo turntables - we still play vinyl!

Yes there will be more, check out the Alice's website for the next broadcast; www.rockradio.eu.com

[I have to hold my hand up for involvement in most of the rock stations in and around London, Radio UK 1968, T1 68 - 79, Alice's, Amanda 82 - 84, Andromeda 85 - 86, HMR 85, RFM 88 - 91, Rock 106 93 - 95].

Best 73,

Bear. :D
Sergej

Re:

Post by Sergej »

Hi guys! :)

I heard ARRR on Aug. 14 on 9290 and was impressed 8) . But will the station be there each Sunday???

Serge, Moscow, Russia
Andy Richards

Post by Andy Richards »

Hi Serge,

I'm afraid it's unlikely.I think they have plans for a different TX,location etc but it may well be that you will not have such good reception in Moscow.Hopefully they will do some more transmissions via the Latvia TX & at least you will be able to enjoy those.

Andy Richards.
Ур&am

Post by Ур&am »

Все вы пидары вражеские! Россия великая вас имела как хотела. :lol:
pjk
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by pjk »

Пожалуйста напишите на английском языке

Greets Peter J